Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Jüdisches Museum...Part 2

Today I went to the Jüdisches Museum (for the second time!) after work to see the current exhibition, Helden, Freaks und Superrabbis: Die Jüdische Farbe des Comics (Heroes, Freaks and Super Rabbis: The Jewish Color of Comics). The exhibition was AMAZING, as evidenced by my spending nearly two and a half hours there!

The exhibit featured Jewish comic book artists and authors (although Robert Crumb was featured, too, because much of his work explores Jewish cultural identity and stereotypes, and his wife--Aline Kominsky, who is also a comic book author/illustrator--is Jewish, too) and explored the progression of the genre, itself, and its relationship to Jewish culture. There were original comic books and prints, reproductions, photographs, video clips, animations, audio pieces, etc. etc. The accompanying text throughout the exhibit was really interesting and thorough, without being overbearing.

Suffice it to say, this was a truly enjoyable experience. Next on my list is the Berlinische Galerie, which is located near the Jüdisches Museum. I am also toying with the thought of going to see Potemkin tomorrow at Babylon--also part of the Stummfilm Fest. I will keep my readers posted!

P.S. I keep trying to upload video clips of the movies I'm referencing but for some reason, I can't. Posters and photographs will just have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment