Sunday, July 18, 2010

Jüdisches Museum und Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmeds

Okay, this will be short (especially because I know no one reads these posts) but I just want to mention two highlights of my weekend.

The first highlight of my weekend was seeing Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmeds at the Babylon Kino. It was beyond amazing. The film introduced the genre of cut paper or "Scherenshnitt." In total, the film--made in 1926--had 96,000 cut paper frames out of a total 250,000, which were made! The film had live accompanying music and the theater in which the film was shown was really cool too. As I think I already mentioned, this was part of the Stummfilm Festival currently going on here in Berlin.

The second was the Jüdisches Museum, which is where I went on Saturday. It was AMAZING. I plan on going back to see their current comic book exhibition, which features the work of Jewish comic book illustrators. I would also like to visit the Berlinische Galerie (very close to the Jüdisches Museum) to look at their current exhibition as well. The museum as a whole looks really interesting.
Me in front of the Jüdisches Museum. The quote on the wall states in German, "auch Helden haben schlechten Tage..." (translation: "Heroes also have bad days..."). This statue is part of the current comic book exhibition, which I plan on attending this week.

4 comments:

  1. Just got done reading your entire blog. All I can say is fabulous. Love the written as well as the pictoral entries. You little devil for keeping this a secret. Don't worry, I will not let the cat out of the bag with you know who! This was such a delight to read, you have no idea. I will certainly be looking forward to more updates! With much love from Mumma

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Love your screen name, berlintern - very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... "especially since I know no one reads these posts" - False! :-) We've read every one and are incredibly pleased that you're enjoying your internship so much. It sounds perfect - Bill and I were especially excited to read that you've been given the opportunity to demonstrate your artistic talent. I would love to see photos of work that you've created while at the museum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly! I know you guys are reading them! I was just being sarcastic because my following is, well, small...haha. But that's okay :)

    I will be sure and upload pictures of my museum stuff, too. I just keep forgetting!

    ReplyDelete